This is an analysis of the poem August Afternoon that begins with:
Thump of a horse's hoof behind the hedge;
Long stripes of shadow, and green flame in the grass... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abccdccXefcccbggdXgfbbcaXeX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 27,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1001010101 11011111001 01010010101 111101 0011110011 1101010101 1011001101 1011010011 10010100101 0101111101 1101110100 0101011101 010010100100 01010101001 1011010110 01100111101 10110100101 1111100100 1100011110 0011101101 11001000101 0101110101 0101010111 0100010101 0111000101 101010010101 1110110011
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 1184
- Average number of words per stanza: 205
- Amount of lines: 27
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of August Afternoon;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.