This is an analysis of the poem Dead You Say that begins with:
The owner of millions, he smiling stood
And gazed through the window in laughing mood ; ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbaX cX XX ddeecX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,2,2,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 0100101101 1110100101 1011000101 1110100101 110011101 111111010111 11111110111 110111101111 11101001001 111110101 1110111101 0011110101 11100111101 110101111 1110100101 11100101101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 179
- Average number of words per stanza: 37
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, ', he, she are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, ' are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word ' at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase ' connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Dead You Say;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.