Analysis of poems
- Aanewala Khatra (Toxin)
- Ab Aksar Chup-Chup Se Rahe Hai.N
- Bahut Pahale Se Un Qadamo.N Kii Aahaat Jaan Lete Hai.N
- Chhalak Ke Kam Na Ho Aisii Ko_Ii Sharaab Nahii.N
- Gair Kyaa Jaaniye Kyo.N Mujh Ko Buraa Kahate Hai.N
- Jab Nazar Aap Kii Ho Ga_Ii Hai
- Kabhii Paabandiyo.N Se Chhuut Ke Bhii Dam Ghutane Lagataa Hai
- Ko_Ii Na_Ii Zamii.N Ho Nayaa Aasamaa.N Bhii Ho
- Kuchh Ishaare The Jinhe.N Duniyaa Samajh Baithe The Ham
- Maut Ik Giit Raat Gaatii Thii
Raghupati Sahay, better known under his pen name Firaq Gorakhpuri (Urdu: فراق گورکھپوری, Hindi: फ़िराक़ गोरखपुरी), was a writer, critic, and one of the most noted contemporary Urdu poets from India. He established himself as one of the greats in an era which boasted stalwarts like Iqbal, Yagana Changezi, Jigar and Josh.
Raghupati Sahay was born in 1896, in Gorakhpur, into a Hindu family. He was selected for the Provincial Civil Service (P.C.S.) and the Indian Civil Service (I.C.S.), but he resigned to follow Mahatma Gandhi's Non-cooperation movement, for which he went to jail. Later, he joined Allahabad University as a lecturer in English literature. It was there that he wrote most of his Urdu poetry, including his magnum opus Gul-e-Naghma which earned him the highest literary award of India, the Jnanpith Award, and also the 1960 Sahitya Akademi Award in Urdu. During his life, he was given the positions of Research Professor at the University Grants Commission and Producer Emeritus by All India Radio. After a long illness, he died on March 3, 1982, in New Delhi.
As a distinguished poet, Firaq Gorakhpuri was well-versed in all traditional metrical forms such as ghazal, nazm, rubaai and qat'aa. He was a prolific writer, having written more than a dozen volumes of Urdu poetry, a half dozen of Urdu prose, several volumes on literary themes in Hindi, as well as four volumes of English prose on literary and cultural subjects.
This text is based on the copyrighted Wikipedia article; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License