This is an analysis of the poem Portrait Of The Artist As A Prematurely Old Man that begins with:
It is common knowledge to every schoolboy and even every Bachelor of Arts,
That all sin is divided into two parts....
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXXbcdXecefcbbbXXbggghhXifbbidiXjj
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 35,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 00101001001111010010001 11100100011 11010101001011010010 100111101111010110 1010101010100101010010 10100100101110100 1011010 10010110110110 1111111010011101111 1010111011100 110110110101001001 10010111101111100 1000 00010010010101 1111011 01110110010 010010110101101110101 1101001011011011 101101011010 10011001010111000101010 10000110100100110111100 1101001110 11010101001 100111010011010101 110101001010111011 111011111001111101 101010011 11101101 1011101 11101111110001 01010011101110111010 100110 0100100100101011110110 1110010 10100101101011110
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 2209
- Average number of words per stanza: 381
- Amount of lines: 35
- Average number of symbols per line: 62 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, you, of, sin, as, haven't, things are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Portrait Of The Artist As A Prematurely Old Man;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.