This is an analysis of the poem Shoulders that begins with:
A man crosses the street in rain,
stepping gently, looking two times north and south,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XXa bc cXdX ebb dfeaXfe
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,2,4,3,7,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01100101 10101011111 01010011010 11111 111110011 011001110011 1111 111010110 1001 0111010 11010011 1011 11100010 01001 01110011110 01010 0101001 01010110
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 94
- Average number of words per stanza: 18
- Amount of lines: 18
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words no, the are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Shoulders;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.