This is an analysis of the poem The Wild Iris that begins with:
That day we wandered 'mid the hills,-so lone
Clouds are not lonelier, the forest lay... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcc bdbdee afafgg cbcbhh ihXhXh bjXjii
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1111010111 1111000101 010010111001 11011101111 110010100101 1001010001 1001010111 10001010100 1101010101 1000010001 11011101001 010011101001 1101010111 1101110011 1111011101 0100010101 1101111101 1111011101 11010100101 1101111111 0101110100 1101010111 1001011111 0111110101 1111110100 0101110101 0101110100 0101010101 11010100100 1111010101 1101100111 11111101110 0111010101 11110101110 0101011101 0101100001
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 252
- Average number of words per stanza: 46
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, i, of are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, i are repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase me connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Wild Iris;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.