This is an analysis of the poem The Glowworm that begins with:
How long had I sat there and had not beheld
The gleam of the glow-worm till something compelled!...... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Xa bb XX cc dd ee cc ff dd gg aa hh ii jj XX hh ii kk dd ii ccXhh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,5,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11111111110 01001111001 01011001011 101001011001 11101111001 11101101100 11001111011 101011101101 11001111111 11001001001 11001101001 01101011000 101101101001 11011001011 11011011001 11101111001 11010001001 11101111001 11101011011 01001011001 11001001011 11001011011 111011001011 11111111001 11001011001 11101101101 11001101011 1111100111 11101001001 111111011111 11001001001 01101001001 01111001101 110001011001 110010011010 1011010110010 11001101001 0101100101 11001001111 11011011111 11111001001 11101011001 110010010001 010001001101
- Amount of stanzas: 22
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 91
- Average number of words per stanza: 17
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, of, now are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, and are repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Glowworm;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.