This is an analysis of the poem The First Quarter that begins with:
Shaggy with skins of frost-furred gray and drab,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a bccbbXcbdefdef X a ddddXdddgchgch X X ieeiiXeieeeeee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,14,1,1,14,1,1,14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1010 10010110111 1101100101 1101011101 1001110001 0101011111 011101101 10011000101 1001011101 0111110101 10011101001 0101010101 1111010101 1001011101 10110010001 1 1010 1110010101 0101010001 1001010101 1101101111 1001100111100 1101011101 1101110101 01111100111 1101000111 1001010101 01011111001 1101100111 1001010101 01010111001 1 1 0001110101 11110100101 1001010111 11100100001 1101010111 1100011101 0101110101 11010101101 1101110111 0111010111 1011000101 1101000101 1011010111 1011110001
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 242
- Average number of words per stanza: 44
- Amount of lines: 47
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his, and, her are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The First Quarter;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.