This is an analysis of the poem Friends that begins with:
Down through the woods, along the way
That fords the stream; by rock and tree,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaaXa bccbcb dccdcd ceeXecXdaadad
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,13,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11010101 11011111 10010101 11110111 01110100 11110001 11011111 01101101 11010101 01010111 01110001 01111101 11011111 11111101 11010111 01101101 11110101 01000101 01011101 01010101 010100111 01010100 01011111 110110111 01011101 11011111 01010101 11010111 10011111 11010001
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 219
- Average number of words per stanza: 39
- Amount of lines: 30
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Friends;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.