This is an analysis of the poem Carrickfergus that begins with:
I was born in Belfast between the mountain and the gantries
To the hooting of lost sirens and the clang of trams:...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XaXa Xbab ccdc Xefe dgXg afhfXhaaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 111011010101010 0010011010101 10101001010 1010110010111 01010101010 0110010101 01101010101010 10101010110111 011100010010010 01110100111 1111001001011 100111000101 01010101010 01010010001 11010010011010 01011010010001 11010110010010 1110001000101 010010101010010 0101111101 0111011010 10010101101 1010010110110 101010100111 110101001010 10000010101 1001101010011 1010011
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 201
- Average number of words per stanza: 38
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 49 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of Carrickfergus;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.