This is an analysis of the poem Hannibal's Oath that begins with:
AND the night was dark and calm,
There was not a breath of air,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcb deXX ddfd gaXa behf cgdg habaXfhdh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1011111 1110101 0100101 10100101 100101 100101 011011 0111000 0100101 110101 110100 010101 010111 0010111 111101 1011101 011111 1010111 1011101 1011100 1100010 110101 0100101 001101 0110111 010101 1011111 010101 1010100 10110101 1110001 1110111
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 119
- Average number of words per stanza: 23
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 29 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and, with are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words it, and, the are repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Hannibal's Oath;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.