This is an analysis of the poem This Rose Was A Witness that begins with:
Of this, that if this was not love
No other love could be....
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ABCBDBC ccCacaC deCeecC cXCXaX C CABCB DBC X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,7,7,6,1,5,3,1,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 00100111 110110 011010 01111001 111111101 111111 011010 11010 1011 011010 01101 1101101 1111010 011010 11011 11101 011010 111011 100111 1110101 011010 11111 110010 011010 01101 1110011 011011 011010 011010 00100111 110110 011010 01111001 111111101 111111 011010 100101110
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 125
- Average number of words per stanza: 25
- Amount of lines: 37
- Average number of symbols per line: 26 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; this is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word this is repeated.
The author used the same words i, this at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines witness is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word witness at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of This Rose Was A Witness;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.