This is an analysis of the poem Mother that begins with:
Aged eighty-four years.
... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a bbccddee ffggddaaXe hhhhggaaffee iiggiiiiiiee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,8,10,12,12,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11010 001001101011 01011011011 010011010011 111001011111 101001011001 101101011001 101101001011 101001011001 101001011001 01001011001 01111011001 111101001111 111011111001 001110001001 101001001001 11111011001 10110111001000 00101111011 101001111111 001001001001 111011011101 11101101001 111111011011 01101001001 001001011100 010001011011 11011111101 11011101011 01011111111 100001011001 110010010110 111111010010 110001011011 11001001011 11111111001 11111001001 101001001001 01001011001 110101001101 11101001001 01001011001 101101111001
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 433
- Average number of words per stanza: 76
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 48 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; that, her, and, she, ' are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words other, the, had are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word rest at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Mother;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.