This is an analysis of the poem Anticipation And Possession that begins with:
Why do we grieve when fancied joys
Elude our grasp and fly ?... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abXc dXae aafa XfXf ggag dbXc fehe ddXdXabhb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11111101 011111 01011111 110100 11010111 110010 01010101 111101 11010101 0100101 110101001 0111001 11011010 111111 11000110 111101 11110101 010101 01011111 010101 01011101 110111 11010001 110100 11011111 110101 11010101 110101 11111101 011101 11110101 110101 11010100 111001 11010111 111101
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 122
- Average number of words per stanza: 22
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 30 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of Anticipation And Possession;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.