This is an analysis of the poem On Simony that begins with:
Saw'st thou ever Siquis patcht on Pauls Church door
To seek some vacant vicarage before?... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabcddaaXXXXXXaaeebc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 20,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11101011111 0111010001 1101011101 1111010100 1111011101 1001110011 1101111101 0101001101 1101110101 1001011100 1011111111 11110010101 0101010101 1111000100 1101011101 1101000111 1111110011 0100011111 1101011100 1011110100
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 868
- Average number of words per stanza: 156
- Amount of lines: 20
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, thy are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of On Simony;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.