This is an analysis of the poem Of Joys And Pleasing Pains that begins with:
Of joys and pleasing pains I late went singing,
O joys with pains! O pains with joys consenting!... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaaaaaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01110111110 11011101010 11011101010 11101111010 11111101110 01010111110 11111111010 01110111110
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 387
- Average number of words per stanza: 71
- Amount of lines: 8
- Average number of symbols per line: 48 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, pains, joys, my, and are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Of Joys And Pleasing Pains;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.