This is an analysis of the poem An Old Picture that begins with:
THERE are times when a dream delicious
Steals into a musing hour, ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababXbcB dedeXbXB fdfdebcB egegcbcb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111101010 10001010 10101010 11001110 11111100 01011010 011110101 10111110 111101110 10111001 10101010 101001101 0110110111 001110010 0100110101 10111110 111001001101 1111011010 01011001101 10101010 11101011001 0011010010 1010110101 10111110 10100100101 101011011 101101101001 1011101 1011100111 001101010 1011100101 111111010
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 313
- Average number of words per stanza: 61
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 38 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, that are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words a, and, that, there are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word quiver at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of An Old Picture;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.