This is an analysis of the poem A Lost Friend that begins with:
MY friend he was; my friend from all the rest;
With childlike faith he oped to me his breast; ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbcc ddeeffccdd aagg aaeedd ddeeXee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,10,4,6,7,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1111110101 01111100101 1111110111 1101011101 0101010101 1101110101 1111111101 1101110001 1111000111 01011100101 1001011101 01011100111 1101010111 0101011101 0111111101 1111110101 0101111111 0101010111 1101010111 0101010001 1101011101 1011110101 1101010101 0101000101 1001111110 1001011111 1111111111 1011111011 11011110001 0101011101 1111011101 10001010001
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 237
- Average number of words per stanza: 44
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; no, his, had are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words no, i, when are repeated.
The author used the same word too at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase alone connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of A Lost Friend;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.