This is an analysis of the poem Lines On Seeing Schiller's Skull that begins with:
WITHIN a gloomy charnel-house one day
I view'd the countless skulls, so strangely mated,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a ba bb bb bb bc bc bc bd bd cd ce ce fe fg fg cgXc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 0101010111 11010111010 1011111101 11111111010 11011001010 11010111010 11110101010 11111101010 01011101010 10110111110 10011101110 10011101010 11110101110 01001010001 01101101010 1101010101 11011101110 11011100101 11011111010 11010101010 11010101010 11011111010 1111000101 01100111110 11010100101 01001010011 1001101111 0101101101 0101010101 1001111111 11010111101 1111000101 1001011011 1111010101
- Amount of stanzas: 18
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 84
- Average number of words per stanza: 15
- Amount of lines: 34
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Lines On Seeing Schiller's Skull;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.