This is an analysis of the poem Welcome And Farewell that begins with:
QUICK throbb'd my heart: to norse! haste, haste,
And lo! 'twas done with speed of light;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a aa ab cb c d ed ef ff X f gf gc ec e f af aX gf X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,2,2,2,1,1,2,2,2,1,1,2,2,2,1,1,2,2,2,1,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110110111 11110101 01010101 110010101 11010101 01010001 11010101 11010101 01010101 01010101 01111101 11001111 01010101 11110111 110011111 111011010 11110101 11111111 11111111 110011111 0100110101 01011101 11111100 11010101 11010101 01010111 01111101 10111101 111101110 11010101 11110001 11011100
- Amount of stanzas: 20
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 58
- Average number of words per stanza: 11
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; my, to are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words what, and are repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Welcome And Farewell;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.