This is an analysis of the poem Serenade that begins with:
From the close-shut windows gleams no spark,
The night is chilly, the night is dark,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbbB ccXXbB ccccbB ccddbB
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 001110111 010100101 010100111 111010101 101101101 01011101 0100101001 010100101 011110101 010101011 011011001 01011101 010100101 1111011001 111111101 010010011 111101001 01011101 110101101 010111101 111111101 111101001 110101001 01011101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 219
- Average number of words per stanza: 42
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; alone, world, we are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines alone is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word alone at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase alone connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Serenade;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.