This is an analysis of the poem A Contrast that begins with:
Thy love thou sendest oft to me,
And still as oft I thrust it back;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababb ccccc adXdd efeff
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11110101 11111101 11001111 01110101 01011101 11010111 010100111 11010111 11111110 11010101 11111101 10011100 11000100 110010101 11000101 110011111 110010101 01011101 11010101 110011101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 187
- Average number of words per stanza: 34
- Amount of lines: 20
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; with is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Contrast;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.