This is an analysis of the poem To My Mother that begins with:
Was it you, mother, with your tearful song,
was it you who cursed me three years' long...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXX bbcc dede Xfgg ggee ccXf hfhXXhgfg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1011001101 101111111 00010101 11111111 111011101 111110111 1110101110 010011110 01111111 1111001111 11111101 111011101 11111101 0010111101 1001011101 11111111 01111111 01111111 11010101 11111111 1101101010 11111011010 11111101 110111010 10110101 111101101 111001101 10110001 1010101 110011101 11011011 11110101
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 148
- Average number of words per stanza: 30
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, my are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words was, have are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To My Mother;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.