This is an analysis of the poem September, The First Day Of School that begins with:
My child and I hold hands on the way to school,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a bXcddd XecXXb feacgg X hhecXc aXgXaf cfXdbg Xe
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,6,6,6,1,6,6,6,2,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1 11111110101 1111110111 1101010111 1111010111 1101110101 1111011101 11010101010 11001100101 1001010100 1101110001 1101010100 1101001100 1101010101 0111110111 0101000101 11111100010 1101010101 11110100001 1 0101110101 1101011101 0101110111 1001011111 1001001101 10011000001 0101111011 1111010100 1110111101 0101111111 0101010101 1111111101 11010101011 0101010101 1101011101 1111111101 1011010100 11110100001 0100010
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 169
- Average number of words per stanza: 33
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, down, of, know are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words i, as are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines thought is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of September, The First Day Of School;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Howard Nemerov
- Analysis of A Life
- Analysis of Because You Asked About The Line Between Prose And Poetry
- Analysis of Political Reflection