This is an analysis of the poem The Seaside And The Fireside : Dedication that begins with:
As one who, walking in the twilight gloom,
Hears round about him voices as it darkens,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXab bcbc dedX eeee dfdf gbgb dcdc hihi bbbb jeje kdkd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111000111 11011101010 1101010111 10010111110 1101011111 11110101010 1111010111 01010101010 0101011111 110100111010 1101110101 110010111000 1101001111 11110111010 1101110101 11011111010 1100110101 110101011100 0111010001 1101011010100 0101110001 11110101010 1101100101 10010111010 0111110101 01011101110 1101110011 11010101010 1011111101 11010011010 1111110001 11010111010 1101111111 1010101001110 1001010101 00111111010 1111011111 10110100010 1101000101 01010100010 1111110101 111101101110 0111010101 11111011010
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 176
- Average number of words per stanza: 31
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, or are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words thanks, kind are repeated.
The author used the same word therefore at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Seaside And The Fireside : Dedication;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Analysis of The Phantom Ship. (Birds Of Passage. Flight The First)
- Analysis of The Children Of The Lord's Supper. (From The Swedish Of Bishop Tegner)
- Analysis of The Angler's Song