This is an analysis of the poem The Phantom Ship. (Birds Of Passage. Flight The First) that begins with:
In Mather's Magnalia Christi,
Of the old colonial time,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabacdedXccXbXXXbcfcegagbchcbiXijiXiXdbdechcfbfbXgjg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 52,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01010010 00101001 10101010 1011101 0110110 1011101 1101110 0100011 110001100 110101 110110010 1011110 11010010 1100111 11011110 1111101 10111010 1010101 11100010 1010100 01010010 1011101 1001010 1110111 11111010 0100101 11001011 0010101 11001010 011101 1110110010 111101 111001010 1010111 01011010 010001 1101010 1010001 101010110 110111 10101110 110111 101010110 1011001 101011010 111001 101010110 110101 10100010 110101 101011010 1110101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 1657
- Average number of words per stanza: 311
- Amount of lines: 52
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; in, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Phantom Ship. (Birds Of Passage. Flight The First);
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Analysis of The Children Of The Lord's Supper. (From The Swedish Of Bishop Tegner)
- Analysis of The Angler's Song
- Analysis of Tales Of A Wayside Inn : The Theologian's Tale; The Legend Beautiful