This is an analysis of the poem Victory that begins with:
The schools marched in procession in happiness and pride,
The city bands before them, the soldiers marched beside; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbb ccddd eefXf bbbbb bbggg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,5,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 0110010010011 0101010010101 1111110111111 0111011110101 11110101110111 01111101110001 111011110110111 1110010101101 11001100110111 1101010110001 1111110110111 11010101101101 0100110010111 010111001010100 11010101110101 11010101110101 11010111111111 01110101100101 01111101011101 11011101011101 11010010110101 1101010010001 11001010110101 11010001010101 01010111010101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 308
- Average number of words per stanza: 54
- Amount of lines: 25
- Average number of symbols per line: 61 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, flags, all, nor, of, oh are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, oh are repeated.
The author used the same words the, they at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Victory;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.