This is an analysis of the poem A Dan Yell that begins with:
I WISH I’d never gone to board
In that house where I met... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababacac dadXecec fXffacac egegabab ahahbcbc bibiacac
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 111110101 011111 01010001 111111 11111111 010111 11010011 110101 01011101 110101 11011101 110100 11010001 111100 11011101 110101 11110101 11110010 11011111 111111 11010111 111111 11100101 110101 01010101 110111 01011101 110101 01010101 010101 01110111 110101 01100101 100111 01011101 001101 11011101 110101 11010101 110101 11010111 011001 11000101 011111 11010111 1111001 11010111 110101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 245
- Average number of words per stanza: 48
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 30 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, our, he are repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word between at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Dan Yell;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.