This is an analysis of the poem The Prayer On The Pier that begins with:
Proudly foats the ocean steamer,--
Throngs aboard and on the pier;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcbdeee XcfcXgdg ffefcbfb Xhahefdf
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10101010 1011101 010111110 1010101 11101010 1011101 111101010 1010111 11110 0010011 10110 100111 11111 110101 11111 110101 10101010 1010101 010101110 1011101 11111110 1011101 110100010 1110101 10001010 1111101 110101110 1010011 10101010 1011101 111101010 1010101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 257
- Average number of words per stanza: 44
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Prayer On The Pier;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Henry Clay Work
- Analysis of Poor Kitty Popcorn
- Analysis of Our Captain's Last Words
- Analysis of No Letters From Home!