This is an analysis of the poem No Letters From Home! that begins with:
A stranger lies ill, in a distant city,
With no - - letters from home!... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaXcBCX XBCX dedecbcb cbcbfbfX XgagdbdX dbdX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,4,8,8,8,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01011001010 011001 01011101010 110101110 10111001110110 11001101 01001011010 0101100100 101110011101101 11001101 01001011010 0101100100 11001001010 11011011 101111101010 1101011 110110011010 01101001 001010010010 11011001 110010100110 111001 11111111010 01101001 11111011110 01011001 11111011110 1110100100 1001010010100 110101001 101101001110 01001011 11001011110 111110001 11001111110 1101100100 10111001110010 110110001 11001111110 1101100100
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 288
- Average number of words per stanza: 49
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, my are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word what is repeated.
The poet repeated the same word home at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase i connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of No Letters From Home!;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.