This is an analysis of the poem The Lost Letter that begins with:
In the postoffice window was one broken pane;
In the wainscot there was one loosen'd board;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcbXcdC dcdC XadaXcdC XeXeecdC XcXcfXdCXffdfacdC
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,4,8,8,17,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 001001011101 0010111101 1010011011010 101001101 1010010011001 101001011 1011010111010 101101001 1111010 111101 1111010111010 101101001 101011101001 1110101001 1011010110010 111101001 111101011101 111011001 1111010111010 101101001 011101001001 1010011001 1110111010100 001111101 101101011101 111001001 1111010111010 101101001 101111111100100 1010111101 1010111010110 101101111 101100001101 101001010 1111010111010 101101001 001101101101 0010100011 1011010011010 1010101 101101111101 001001011 1111010111010 101101001
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 335
- Average number of words per stanza: 60
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; how, and, that are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words in, two are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word wall at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of The Lost Letter;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.