This is an analysis of the poem The Ballad[e] Of Imitation that begins with:
If they hint, O Musician, the piece that you played
Is nought but a copy of Chopin or Spohr; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abXbbXbc abXbbXbC aXabbcbCXbcbc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,13,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 011101001111 01101001011 1010110110100 0010010101001 111001001101 101111101001 11010011011 101111001011 011111011111 11010001011 1100100101010 11011001101 111001001101 1100101111 110010011001 101111001011 11111001001 011011011001 01011001001 001111001001 11101101101 1111100001111 11111001001 101111001011 10011111101 11011011111 11011101001 101111001011
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 340
- Average number of words per stanza: 61
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 48 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, that, your, from are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word that is repeated.
The author used the same word if at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word too at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Ballad[e] Of Imitation;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.