This is an analysis of the poem The Patriot's Courage that begins with:
When our free land's great captain, Washington,
Was colonel in Virginia, ere the war... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcc bdbdXe eXeXff adadaX aeaeee Xcecgg dXdcff hihidd dededd djdjiX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1111110100 1100010101 1111010110 0101010101 0011010111 11010111001 1101010101 0101010101 0011111101 1101110111 1011000110 1010010101 1101110101 11010101001 1011010100 1101111010 1100011101 1101000101 1111110101 1111011111 1011011101 11010101001 1101110111 1111110101 1101011101 1101011101 0101010011 01001011001 1101001101 11011010001 1100110000 1001010101 1101010101 0101110111 1101011111 0111110101 1111110101 0100110100 1110010111 1111010110 1111110101 1101110101 11100011101 1001110101 1001011101 0101110001 0101010111 0101010001 1111111011 0111010101 1101010111 0101000101 1100010111 1101010101 1001010111 0111111101 1001010111 1110111101 1101111001 11110110010
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 263
- Average number of words per stanza: 47
- Amount of lines: 60
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, that, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, it are repeated.
The author used the same word for at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Patriot's Courage;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.