This is an analysis of the poem Threnos that begins with:
IN o more for us the little sighing.
No more the winds at twilight trouble us....
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ab C X db C Xad C bXC XbCX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 2,1,1,2,1,3,1,3,4,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 0111101010 1101111101 1011 11111 1111010001 110001011 1011 11010101 11110100 101001 1011 111101001 1111010 1011 11010 11110101 1011 100
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 52
- Average number of words per stanza: 11
- Amount of lines: 18
- Average number of symbols per line: 25 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; more, no are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word no is repeated.
The author used the same word no at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word dead at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Threnos;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.