This is an analysis of the poem Old Friendship that begins with:
Beautiful and rich is an old friendship,
Grateful to the touch as ancient ivory,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbcabXc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ottava rima
- Metre: 1001101110 10001110100 1111110100 1111010011 1011101110 1111010100 110111110110 0111011101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 347
- Average number of words per stanza: 63
- Amount of lines: 8
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Old Friendship;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.