This is an analysis of the poem The Cold that begins with:
There was a cold
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ab cd eX fg fX fe ah bi c eX df ia e eaaXXgadhX fXXaa Xc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,1,2,2,2,1,10,5,2,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1101 01 01010010110 1 1001 1000 100110010 01010 00100110010 1010 101010 11010001 0111 010111111000 0101 01010101001 10011111 10001 0111011100 0111010101 010011011101010 0100 11101110101 101 11000111 1101 1010 1100011 0101010 11010110 101 111101 10 1100 1101001010110 011000 10110100 1111111111 10 0100010
- Amount of stanzas: 18
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 59
- Average number of words per stanza: 9
- Amount of lines: 43
- Average number of symbols per line: 24 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 4
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; or, whose are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words whose, who are repeated.
The author used the same word whose at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Cold;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.