This is an analysis of the poem In Memoriam that begins with:
O FRIEND who passed away while flowers died,
Now that the land bursts into bloom again,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaab cdccd efeef ghggh gbggb bibbi gXXXX jgjjg dfddfXfbffb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,11,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1111011101 1101100101 01010100111 1011110101 01010101001 110101111 1001010101 1100011101 1100010101 1011001101 0111111111 01000101010 01001110101 11001010101 11011111110 1101111101 01111101001 1101110001 0111001111 1011011100 1111010101 11001110101 11110011101 1001011111 1111011101 1011111101 1111010100 0101010101 01010011101 1011000100 0111011101 1111000101 1111100110 010101010110 1111001101 1111111101 1001001111 10111101101 1111011101 1010110101 110011111001 11010110101 1001111101 0101010101 1001010111 1111010111 0111111111 1111011111 1101111101 1101111101
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 215
- Average number of words per stanza: 39
- Amount of lines: 50
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; with, and, thou, as are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words not, a are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of In Memoriam;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.