This is an analysis of the poem Lay It Away that begins with:
We will lay our summer away, my friend,
So tenderly lay it away.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababbcbc dedefgfg chchijij kckcjbjb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1011100111 11001001 0111100101 111101 10101101 101001 1010011100 100111 10100110111 111101 10111001001 11011001 101100111 1100101 101101111 100101 1010010101 1001111 110110111 010111 111110111 11111101 111011111 111111 0111100101 1010111 01011001001 1110111 110101001 1100101 111011101 11101001
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 282
- Average number of words per stanza: 56
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; dead, you, i are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word nothing is repeated.
The author used the same word we at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Lay It Away;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.