This is an analysis of the poem If that begins with:
Dear love, if you and I could sail away,
With snowy pennons to the wind unfurled, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd bebe afaf abab gggg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1101111101 0101000101 0101001011 1111010101 0111110101 1101001101 0101010101 1111011001 0101010011 110111001110 11011111001 1111101010 0001000111 1101010101 1101111111 1111110101 1111100101 11001110111 1101011101 1111110111 1101110101 1101110111 10101111001 1111011101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 175
- Average number of words per stanza: 33
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
The author used the same word if at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of If;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.