This is an analysis of the poem I Shall Not Forget that begins with:
I shall not forget you. The years may be tender,
But vain are their efforts to soften my smart;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd Xefe XfXf acacXabab
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111011001010 11111001011 1011011110110 01001101011 110010011011 11101101001 10101100100101 101001000111 110011011100 01011001111 0011010110110 01011011011 010010011110 01011001111 1011011110110 101101111001 111011110010 01001111001 110111010010 11001001101 110110111010 11101101101 1010110110110 11101010111
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 192
- Average number of words per stanza: 38
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 47 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; your, me, of, i, in are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words your, and, to, for are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of I Shall Not Forget;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.