This is an analysis of the poem Cleaning Up that begins with:
When the horse has been unharnessed and we've flushed the old machine,
And the water o'er the sluice is running evenly and clean;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccddeeccaaccccXXffccggggcceeaacc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 36,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1011010001110101 1010100101010011 111010111010111 111010101110111 101010101010101 011010101010101 001010101010101 01010101110111 11011101110101 01000101110101 1010101001011101 001010101110101 110010100010001 11010101110101 01011101010101 01010101010101 111111101110101 111010100110001 1010101000101010 101011101010101 101011101010001 101000101010101 110111010100101 111110101010001 101000101110101 101010100010001 101010100010001 1010101001010101 101010100010111 11011101010001 11011101110101 111110101110101 1010100101010011 101010100010101 11111101110101 111011101010101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 2194
- Average number of words per stanza: 411
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 60 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, his are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words or, nor are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Cleaning Up;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.