This is an analysis of the poem Dead Leaves that begins with:
When these dead leaves were green, love,
November's skies were blue, ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabacdeD debecXdD eacafdXD dfcXXddd XgcgXdad
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111011 100101 11010101 1100101 101100101 110101 11010001 111101 11111101 1001010 11111111 111101 110010101 101111 11110111 111101 11001111 101001 01010111 110101 11011101 110101 1011101110 111101 110011111 1100111 00111101 111001 11110100 110111 11011101 111101 11011101 110111 11110111 101101 11011110 111100 11111111 111101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 345
- Average number of words per stanza: 48
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; love, your, as are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word your is repeated.
The author used the same word how at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word green at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Dead Leaves;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.