This is an analysis of the poem The Sea To The Shell that begins with:
The sea, my mother, is singing to me,
She is singing the old refrain, ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: AbXbaa Acacdd Aeaedd ababdd cfcfdd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 0111001001 10100101 0100110100 1011101 00111101001 1111100111 0111001001 10111001 0011100111 1100111 0111001001 0100100111 0111001001 10101001 0100100111 11001001 100100101 110100111 011100101 11100111 0101110100 1100101 011101111 0101100111 11011001101 1101111 01101101101 11100111 11111001011 0010100111
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 273
- Average number of words per stanza: 47
- Amount of lines: 30
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, to, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words with, a, o are repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word shell at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Sea To The Shell;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.