This is an analysis of the poem The Watch On Deck that begins with:
Becalmed upon the equatorial seas,
A ship of gold lay on a sea of fire; ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbaabba ccdeed
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: Shakespearean sonnet
- Metre: 01010101001 11011101010 11111110010 10010010001 1101010011 111100111010 11011101010 1101110101 1100010101 101110001 1100010101 1011001001 1101000111 1111110101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 367
- Average number of words per stanza: 54
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 52 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Watch On Deck;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.