This is an analysis of the poem Reproach that begins with:
Had I but known yesterday,
Helen, you could discharge the ache... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabaXbXcd edfdefXcg Xcghhege
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 9,9,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111101 10110101 1001 111101111 010010101 101011 110110110 010110001101 11110110 111111010 10101111 10101 011011011 01110110010 1111 10110101 10011001 1101101 11110101 10010111 01001 011111100 1111101100 1111101010 11 10111010
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 284
- Average number of words per stanza: 52
- Amount of lines: 26
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, my are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines beautiful is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Reproach;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.