This is an analysis of the poem Scent Of Irises that begins with:
A faint, sickening scent of irises
Persists all morning. Here in a jar on the table ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababab XcdcXd efafdf Xghgeg dbcbgc hijhij
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 0110010100 0111010011010 0111010100 10010111011010 01011011010 1001010011011110 111010110010 100111010111011 010111111111111 11001011011101 111100101101 01101010011101 101011100110 1100010001101 1111101110011 111001010011 1111010111010 101111101001 11111011010010 010111101011 110110100101 11011010111 0101011110 0111111101 10101111001001 11010110100 1001001010101 1111010100 0101110101 0111010111 1101110111 010010111101 00100010111 0111111100 11011010011 01010111011
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 295
- Average number of words per stanza: 55
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 48 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, your, you, of are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words your, you, me, the are repeated.
The author used the same word you at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Scent Of Irises;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.