This is an analysis of the poem The Choice that begins with:
Think thou and act; to-morrow thou shalt die.
Outstretch’d in the sun’s warmth upon the shore,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abXaabba caXaca
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: sonnet with iambic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 1111010111 1000110101 1111010111 1100100111 1101110111 10111101101 1100111111 1111111111 1111000111 1001011101 1110111001 101101010110 1111111101 1101111011
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 342
- Average number of words per stanza: 68
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 48 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; thou is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Choice;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Analysis of The House Of Life: 72. The Choice, Ii
- Analysis of The House Of Life: 73. The Choice, Iii
- Analysis of The House Of The Life (66): The Heart Of The Night