This is an analysis of the poem The Retribution that begins with:
Old Egypt's gods, Osiris, Ammon, Thoth,
Came on my dream in thunder, and their feet...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XaabXaab cddece
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: Shakespearean sonnet
- Metre: 1101100101 1111010111 01010011011 0101010101 1111011111 01010111101 1101010111 0101011101 0111010101 0101010011 1111011101 1111010101 1001100101 1111010001
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 313
- Average number of words per stanza: 58
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, of are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Retribution;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.