This is an analysis of the poem Why! that begins with:
I've thought o'er this until my brain has blisters.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXbbccddXceeffgggggghheeeeaaiiabajjeeeeeebbeeekkllee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 53,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10 111000111110 1101110100 01010101010 01110101010 0101010111 0111001111 110101 1011 010111010 11 11111101010 10110 1001111101 1111 1101 1011 1101 110100110101 1101111101 0111 11010100101 111111 0101000 11110 1001111001 1111 0111 0101110101 1101111101 1101 0100111101 1001101010100111010 10110101 0111010101 1011 0101011001 11111101100 010101 1100010111 110101 1101 01000100010 11011101010 1111110101 0100110101 01 0101 1111 110101 0101 01010101010 11001111010
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 1706
- Average number of words per stanza: 311
- Amount of lines: 53
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; why, that, and, how are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words of, why are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines it is repeated).
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase why connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Why!;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.