This is an analysis of the poem The Call that begins with:
Don't yeh hear them callin, to yeh, callin' to yeh, lad?
Where the skyline's smeared an' grey with cannon smoke,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abccbaXa deaXedXd fghhgfXX aiXXiaXa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1110100110011 101001110101 10111111 11101001 11101110111 111111111010111 111010 10011 1110100110011 10111111101 11111110 11101110 11101010111 101011101010101 111010 10011 1111101110111 10101110011 11111010 11011110 111110011101 111010101010101 101010 101110 1110101110111 10101111111 11101100 011001010 11101011111 111110101111111 111010 10111
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 353
- Average number of words per stanza: 67
- Amount of lines: 35
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; yeh, to, that, yer are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words an', have are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines yeh, of are repeated).
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The words/phrases callin', beck'nin', prayin' connect the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Call;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.